Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inspiration from Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture

Hi everybody, Nice to meet you all in another post of mine. I am going to talk about a topic which is very close to my heart, that’s philosophy of motivation, a personality management kinda philosophy. My first experience with a self- motivational book was when I read Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win friends and influence people.” written way back in the forties. the book brought about a distinct change in my life and my approach towards people. I started giving importance to other’s thoughts ,feelings, and made me totally understand the human mind and what it seeks from another fellow human being.I understood deeper insights of life from that book. The next major book which influenced my way of thoughts was Poelo Coelho’s Alchemist. At the start of the book he made an remarkable statement which altogether changed my perception of life. “What’s the world’s greatest lie? It’s this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate”. The next book which I love to read even today and is my bible for life is Robin Sharma’s International bestseller “The Monk who sold his ferari”. This book almost became my source of solace and comfort during my trying times. I don’t like to quote anything particular from this book , not because most of you would have read it but because each and every word in the book is worth its weight in gold.
Now why am I telling all about these books to you…..and how’s it related to the topic I have used for the post. Dont wonder more… I saw an amazing video yesterday..and it dealt with motivational philosophy.. Yes It was of the same genre of the books I have mentioned above… but the difference is It was not told by a mangement guru or a seasoned motivational speaker but an ordinary individual…. His name was Randy Pausch…. Late Dr.Randy Pausch , a professor of computer science (No way related to mangement or philosophy)at the Carnegie mellon University(CMU). He was known only to a closed group of people around him in the university before September 18th 2007. On that day he delivered a lecture to a small audience in CMU on the Universities lecture series on the topic last lecture.The theme was simple, “what would you be telling people , if you are to give your last lecture?” . many people have given lectures on their fields of interest in that theme in CMU but Randy’s case was different. Because. he knew that it would really be his last lecture as he is diagnosed for Pancreatic cancer and would have just 3 to 6 months of life. At this emotianlly challenging juncture Randy’s speech made history , he made a world stand up . His “Last Lecture” was posted in the web and the viewership was mindboggling. Later wall street published the speech as a book. Oprah had a show on him. The congress summoned him to explain the plight of the dreadful disease. This was the impact he created by that 1 hour 16 minute lecture. I am not going into details of what he spoke but allow you to watch it and embrace it. Each and every word uttered had a meaning to it…. And a dying man won’t waste time !!!!!!! “When you were born you cried and the whole world smiled, When you die you smile and let the whole world Cry for you!!. Randy was a synonym for these words… With no more excuses for taking ur time… meet you in my next blog… for now Over to Dr.Randy’s “LAST LECTURE… a LASTING LECTURE”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

No comments: