Saturday, January 17, 2009

Movie Review- Varanam Ayiram

I should say I saw a wonderfully constructed movie with enough emotions, balanced screenplay,simple but Powerful words and awesome acting. Yes Varanam Ayiram, surya has lived in a movie and showed that he is the next kamlaHassan of tamil film industry.He almost made a Dasavatharam with no fuss. Boy.... whatta acting..what amazing body language... and more importantly that twinkling smile throughout the movie.About the movie,it revolves around as a epitaph of the death of Surya's father in the film played by himself with character name Krishnan. He tells how his dad shaped his whole life.There is nothing special, he says about his father than to say that he gave the right confidence to him when needed. Thats a simple and powerful analysis of a Dad-Son chemistry.We have seen a similar depiction about the role of a father in one's life in Cheran's Thavamai Thavamirundhu, which is a classic I would say. But that revolved around a rustic characterisation, while VA revolves around a urban life of a dad and son, coming from a similar kinda life situations this film struck a chord with me. The story narration type was similar to Cheran's autograph with little bit of modernisation and picturisation.Gautam scores in his first half story telling , with two small love stories one with a tragic ending. Its almost after Maddy's Alaipayuthey that I felt am sunk into the love story that I couldnot allow myself in deep shock and tears during the tragic twists of the story.The story when it moved to the US , and the romantic scenes with surya nd sameera made me stand up and clap for the picturisation and editing. The second half was a bolt out of the blue for me with story taking serious twists but for a normal love story.Eventhough it was a slow and serious second half , I think it was awell suited as the film emphasised on "Life must go On" philosophy.The music was typical Harris's with Mundhinam Parthaney and Nenjukul Peidhidum being my favorites. Overall Just as how Surya responded seeing Sameera in the film ,"VA just blew me of my feet"
One addendem: In my last blog I mentioned about the pain I faced in the airport due to the cancelling of the flight,But when I saw the news about the US airways flight crashlanding due to emergency into the Hudson River three days back all my agony went away , Fyi, it was the same airport LGA from which I missed the flight, Its the same airways, its the same destination state to which I was going , I felt God is great, Its better to stay whole night at the airport than floating with the aircraft in the Hudson at -20degree C. :)

No comments: